Castle of Logothetis, Pythagorio
Also known as the Tower (Pyrgos) of Logothetis (Μουσείο Πύργου Λυκούργου Λογοθέτη,
Museum of the Tower of Lykourgos Logothetis).
On the west side of Pythagorio harbour.
Pythagorio, 83103 Samos.
Tel: +30 22730 62408
Summer (April - October): Tuesday-Sunday 8.30 am - 3.30 pm;
The Byzantine castle was built in the 10th century AD on the foundations of the ancient citadel. Repairs and additions were carried out by the Genoese in the 14th century, when the square towers were built. During the 16th century the fortifications were modernized and cannon emplacements added. The castle was later abandoned when most of Samos's population fled the island due to pirate raids.
It was partially rebuilt in 1824 by Lykourgos Logothetis (Γεώργιος Λυκούργος Λογοθέτης, 1772-1850), the local leader during the Greek War of Independence (1821-1829), who used one of the towers as his headquarters and residence. See a photo of the statue of Logothetis and more information about him on the next page.
For some years the main tower was used to store finds from local archaeological excavations, before the new Pythagorio Archaeological Museum was built. Recently it has been restored and is now open as a museum, with information and images about the history of Samos, and objects found during archaeological excavations at the castle.
In the grounds of the castle is the Church of the Transfiguration (see the next page).
Just to the north (inland) of the castle are the remains of a 2nd century AD Roman villa. There are also the remains of a 5th century AD Christian church and a small chapel which were built over the villa.