The original statue of Nike, the Greek goddess of Victory, is in the Louvre, Paris.
Samothraki Archaeological Museum is closed
until December 2015 due to renovation.
The statue is thought to have been made by Pythokritos of Rhodes circa 220-185 BC to commemorate a victory in naval battle. It stood above the cavea (audience seating area) of the theatre at the Sanctuary of the Great Gods.
The original statue was made of Parian marble, and ship's prow and the base (not included with the copy on Samothraki) are of gray marble from Lartos, Rhodes (lithos lartios).
Height of Nike figure 2.75 metres including wings; total height 5.57 m.
The fragments of the statue were discovered in April 1863 by the French acting vice consul at Adrianople (Edirne, Turkey) and archaeologist Charles Champoiseau (1830-1909), who made exploratory excavations at the site. In the same year he sent the fragments to Paris where they were reassembled and displayed in a prominent position in the Louvre.
Musée du Louvre, Paris. Inv. No. MA 2369.
|photo: © David John